What can you do if your ex won’t pay spousal support?

On Behalf of | May 18, 2021 | Divorce |

If the court ordered that your ex-spouse must pay spousal support following your divorce, you have a legal right to claim that amount. The court takes payment deficits seriously and provides options to help protect your rights. Even if a current circumstance prevents your ex from making payments, the obligation remains.

When your ex stops paying, there are some ways you can try to receive the funds owed to you.

Return to family court for a hearing

Explaining the situation to a judge is one way to get the financial assistance you require. Show the court evidence that your ex is no longer paying you in full, at all or on time. Documentation of any correspondence between the two of you regarding payments can help establish proof. Be prepared to demonstrate how the failure to pay causes financial difficulty for you.

Collect support payments through wage garnishments

You may request an income withholding order to reserve a portion of your former spouse’s income for your alimony payments. Wage garnishment orders may withhold a maximum allowable percentage of each paycheck under Florida law. This percentage varies based on whether your ex has other dependents and the length of time the support is in arrears.

Pursue other methods to obtain alimony

If your ex still fails to provide you with the assistance amount designated by the court, there may be different ways to collect, such as:

  • Seizure of valuable assets
  • Liens on owned property
  • Designation of tax refunds
  • Judgment of full payment with interest

Judges award spousal support to balance the unfair financial consequences of a divorce. Understanding your legal rights and options for collecting support payments can help you recover the money you deserve.