Protecting The Rights Of Florida Parents

When parents separate or file for divorce, their first thought is often of what will happen to their children. Legal issues involving kids can be painful, and the outcome of a child custody dispute can haunt parents for years. If you are a parent who wants to get a divorce, you need a trusted family law attorney who will defend your rights.

At Law Office of D. Scott Wesley, PLLC, we fight for Florida parents in Sarasota, DeSoto and Manatee counties as well as the surrounding area. Our experienced family lawyer helps parents create time-sharing schedules so that they can build strong relationships with their children. You can talk to our Sarasota attorney in a free 30-minute consultation by calling us at 941-951-6733.

What Rights Do Parents Have?

Many parents who are considering divorce or separation are unsure of their rights. Florida law refers to child custody arrangements and visitation as time-sharing. A written document called a parenting plan outlines the time-sharing schedule, responsibilities and duties of each parent. Parents can create this plan can collaboratively or as the result of a family court order.

A parenting plan outlines the legal responsibilities of each parent, including information about:

  • How parents will share responsibility for the daily care of a child
  • What time a child will spend with each parent
  • Who will be responsible for making decisions about the child’s life, such as health care or schooling
  • How parents will communicate with one another and coordinate care

Our lawyer helps clients create collaborative plans with the other parents and, when that is not possible, fights for them in the courtroom. Our team of legal professionals will guide you through every step of the process and work to get you the best possible outcome.

Assisting Parents Who Need Changes To Their Parenting Plans

While it can be challenging to make changes to a parenting plan, it is sometimes necessary because of a change in circumstances. Our attorney helps parents who have experienced a notable change in circumstances make changes to their parenting plans. Moving out-of-state, also called relocation, is a common issue that we help parents with on either side of a dispute. We will help you make the case about why your parenting plan needs to change so that you can give your child the care they deserve.

Learn More In A Free Consultation

We offer free 30-minute phone consultations to discuss cases with clients and determine if our lawyer can help. Call us now at 941-951-6733 to talk to a proven legal professional. You can also send us an email with your contact information to schedule your consultation.